Monday, September 17, 2007

DNN v04.06.00 Feed Explorer (FeedBrowser)...

Just to clarify something, I've been referring to the module as the FeedBrowser,and mistakenly stated that the module does not show up in the list of modules in the Modules Definitions area. I was wrong. The module is listed as 'Feed Explorer v01.00.00, and in the dropdown box of modules to add, it is listed similarly. In my rush to get the word out, I used the name associated with the codebase that supports it. So, hopefully I've not confused too many folks, because it really is worth checking out.

You'll find the controls code in the Admin/Syndication folder, which is where the default news.opml file is located. The rendering scripts are located in the Website/Resources/FeedBrowser folder.

Also, wanted to mention a change I made to the core code this morning, not much really, just a change to the default News.opml. Over the weekend, I found some issues in the included News.Opml file that were causing some display issues. So, to avoid them, I replaced the News.Opml file with my own.

One thing to understand though is that the FeedBrowser is pretty strict about the format of the OPML used in rendering. If the module encounters any translation issue, it will display opml content similar to the Solution Explorer. The fallback opml is hard-coded into the scripting for the module. Also, you can place your News.opml file in your site that matches your portal/#. I placed mine in the portals/0 folder. DNN automatically refreshes the content when it detects a change, so the new changes will display, as long as they are in the proper format for the module to render.

Post a comment if you want a copy of my opml to use for a starting point.

No comments:

Post a Comment