Wednesday, September 10, 2008

DNN News Module - Headlines.xsl Ticker Available

Two XSL files are included that allow vertical or horizontal scrolling of newsfeeds items in the new DNN News module v04.00.00. After playing around with the new News module, I found a slight implementation issue with using the Ticker.xsl. When I choose to use this xsl, I don't get the expected results, which is seeing a display of the news headlines scroll across my module 1 at a time. Instead the xsl displays all of the items, and scrolls them all across the module container. If you have 10 or more items, this kind of implementation is really distracting, as all of the items display and are scrolled.

Now, that is not the implementation I've seen with other similar web usage. So, I created an alternative xsl that can be dropped into the modules transformation folder and used to provide the display of News Headlines scrolling across the module container. This is mostly useful for the Top container area, but suppose you could put it elsewhere - I use it in the Top area.

The settings for 'Show Items Date', and 'Show Items Detail' are not used, as this xsl is desigened just to display the headlines (title element), which I think is the more oft used implementation.

The other thing about this new xsl is that it will support the "ItemsToShow" parameter, but keep in mind that if you are agregating a number of feeds, the count is for the total number of items to show, not the number of items to show per feed.

I placed this HeadlinesTicker.xsl in the same folder as the other default News xsl files

\Website\DesktopModules\News\Transformations

I'm guessing that you could upload it, and choose it for using for your module, as it does transform RSSv2.0 feeds, which is the only custom xsl types that I've seen actually work with the new module. Copy and paste the code, save it to a file using your favorite bare bones text editor. Then, place it our upload it. Be sure to test it out first, though to ensure it does what you think it should.

Click on the blog Title to view the DNN News Forum post where I give the actual code. Sorry, can't provide it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment