Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Progress - News Beta Testing...

by Phil 'iwonder' Guerra
--- (Mission, KS). While testing I found some Atom feeds failing to download. It's strange, but I did manage to get at least one to download and display, but others failed. I took a look at the conversion xsl files in the RssToolKit.

I actually found a line in the AtomToRss20.xsl that seemed to be the culprit, moreso than the date cnversion, although there is an issue with that too. The basic reason why it wouldn't load was becasue the conversion xsl has an invalid directive:

<xml:output mode="xml" encoding="UTF-8"/>

This was probably throwing an error during the attempt to convert it or download it. I put the xsl into my xsl editor, with an input Atom xml file, and it choked, with an error: The namespace prefix is not allowed to start with the reserved string "xml". So, I replaced that line with this one:

<xsl:output method="xml" encoding="UTF-8"/>

Then, it began to work. The date conversion routine had issues too, with not producing a proper formatted date. I corrected that issue, too. I'll send the updated xsl file to Peter, as soon as I can go through the other files in the RssToolKit.

Strange thing, though I don't know why one of the feeds I tested, actually did work.?!? I'll have to go back to that one, to check it out more closely.

Now, after looking at the conversion xsl again, I noticed some other issues with it. For example, the title links to a comment area, and not the actual article. More work needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment